Sunday, April 21, 2013

Survivor

The thing I do most Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights is to watch the TV show Survivor. What the basically is that they drop 20 volunteers on an island and let them starve, while they dangle food in front of them to motivate them to play several games requiring condition, concentration and coordination.

Although the morals of this competition is questionable, it is surely fun to watch and is very exciting.

The goal in this competition is pretty clear; survival. Although they start out as teams, it all comes down to individuals and who appeals to the public the most, because, I don't know about the other formats of the competition, but in Turkey, who goes and who stays is determined by the votes of the audience.

This competition seems fit for the Turkish audience, thanks to all the drama and the sadness, but I guess there is always an audience ready for emotional exploitation in every nation.

In the end, it entertains the common audience (one of them being myself), but I'm watching the show of survival, limited food, almost no shelter and loneliness with a bowl of strawberries in front of me and my iPad and family next to me. It may not be so "entertaining" to someone who has bought the TV they're watching the show in by giving up eating red meat for three months. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment