Sunday, December 23, 2012

Following Kanuni

Right now, I am at Esenboga Airport, Ankara, and I'm waiting to get on a plane and follow the steps of the longest lasting emperor of the Ottoman Empire, Kanuni Sultan Suleyman, to Vienna.

Kanuni leaded two Vienna sieges, although in the last one he didn't make it home alive. It is commonly known that there were two sieges on Vienna done by the Turks, but there was one more: Merzifonlu Kara Mustafa Pasha took the lead on the last one and it resulted in long lasting wars between countries. Finally, the Turks were deflected from Vienna in 1683, never to return again.

So, today, I'm following the footsteps of Kanuni (only by a difference in height by 30000 feet) , to visit one of the most-wanted cities of Europe, the city of music and arts.

I will walk where Mozart, Beethoven, Schönberg, Brahms, Strauss and Berg once walked and I will relive their legacies.

I cannot wait to get to the capital of music, the city I've heard about since third grade, my first music history class, the city I've seen in the movies of the lives of great composers (which I've watched plenty of times), the city for once hundreds of people lost their lives to either protect or to conquer.

No comments:

Post a Comment