Saturday, November 3, 2012

Body Worlds

Today, I went to see the Body Worlds exhibit by Gunther von Hagens. Today, I got to see every tiny piece of muscle inside my arm, and how we do the stuff we do and how the things we take for granted really happen.  Today, I saw how wonderful the human body actually is.

Of course, amidst all my excitement and the biology-at-work, some people didn't fail to surprise me. I heard a group of university students, touring the exhibit and talking among themselves, looking at the arm and leg muscles and saying, "what a miraculous piece of work God has created".

....

The youth of today and the leaders of tomorrow, the supposedly young, bright, children of the 21st century, the "children of technology" and modern science, the future inventors of cures for incurable diseases, seeing the human body, how it works, as a piece of God's work, is just not right. As much as I respect their beliefs, I would expect a student majoring in medicine to be a tad more realistic, objective and, well, "scientific" when it comes to biology and human lives.

But, just as John Lennon said, "imagine there's no religion", we can do nothing but imagine a world without religion blunting the corners. Despite all the facts modern scientists have provided us with, religion, the art of not inquiring, always finds a hole somewhere in all the theories and the logic and the science, to ooze through...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment