Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Cure: Music.

Bob Marley said that "one good thing about music (is) when it hits you, you feel no pain." Plus, I believe that music is that healer of the human soul. Not everyone has to be able to play an instrument or know the history of Western music to be able to appreciate and "love" music; but it goes without saying that if you do know these things, you surely will appreciate and enjoy it more.

Today, we had an awfully hard math quiz, and I wasn't feeling very well when I got on the bus. The first thing I did was to start listening to music, (Savior, by Rise Against-great song, by the way), cranked up the volume and tried not to think about anything else. I decided that when I got home, I would play my new pieces on the piano.

The magical thing about playing an instrument is that, whether you like it or not, you become absorbed in it and when you play something, all you can think about is the music. As you get more experience and learn the piece you're playing very well, you will realize that you are able to think other things while playing the instruments-and you will also find out that you don't want to think about other things. So, when I got home and sat by the piano, played the first few notes of Chopin's Polonaise in A flat major, even though I can only play it at one tenth the original speed right now, my day started to get much, much better...

 

"Music heals and feeds the soul" -Turkish Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment